Sunday 12 June 2011

Today I write.......

Welcome to my Blog!
I don't exactly know why I'm doing this, but here I am.
All my life I've been told "you should write a book".......well this isn't a book, but I'm writing!

Allow me to tell you something about myself.
I was born in Orangeville, Ontario 64 years ago.

My father was Forbes Walkey, my mother was Dorothy Jones Walkey.
Unfortunately, both of my parents died in their early 60's and I miss them both but especially my Mom.

I have one sister, Lynda Mills, who is my life's blood.  I love her more and more everyday.
My sister has 4 daughters, Natalie, Lisa, Kim and Stacey.  These girls are my beloved nieces and the only children who have been as close as my own children you can possibly get.
Natalie has a daughter Charly.
Lisa has a son, Taylor and a daughter Brett.
Kim has two sons, Ben and Zachary and a daughter Emily.
Stacey, is like her Aunt and has no children of her own.

More about this part of the family later.......

During our young life, we were raised in Toronto at Lansdowne and Bloor, not a good neighbourhood now, but back then it was a good,  ethnic (Italian mainly), family neighbourhood.

Nanny's House
My sister and I didn't have the greatest lives when we were young due to the fact that our mother was very ill during most of our childhood, our father was very strict and for a long time we lived with our paternal grandmother who was the strictest woman I have ever met.  I guess we are grateful that she helped to raise us, but most of my memories of Nanny are not very pleasant.  No abuse or anything like that, don't get me wrong.  Just so strict with everything.  Example:  my mother would go grocery shopping (when she wasn't in hospital) and buy us popsicles which she would have to hide in the bottom of the grocery bag so that she could sneak them past Nanny on her way up to our part of the house on the second floor.  Nanny didn't believe in buying sweets like that for children.  So, you get the idea.

When I was 10 and my sister 14, our Mom went out on her own and bought a small house.  She had had enough of living with Nanny.  Ever grateful for the help but wanting to raise her children herself, her own way.
THANK YOU MOM!!!!!

This would be the start of a new life for us all..............to be continued.............

No comments:

Post a Comment